Monday, March 9, 2009

YES to Stem Cell Research!

I was just following the news and I was very happy to hear that President Obama has signed an Executive Order on stem cells research. It was about time! In other countries there is already stem cells research in process. It is really unbelievable that the former "President" refused to sign such an important order in favor of medicine and research for cures. We should always welcome progress which leads to improvement. We know that stem cells can reveal "miraculous" solutions for some diseases. I find this process fascinating and necessary. The fact that we are so close to be able to rebuild a damaged body part like we fantasized in Sci-fi movies not too long ago, it's astonishing. What is appalling to me is that I had just heard on the news that President Obama is being criticized for this choice! I guess that the same movements against abortion are obviously also against federal funding of human embryonic stem cell research. That makes me feel like some of us are still stuck in the middle ages with their bigot beliefs. I'm sure that the same people however had no issue to raise against the funds wasted on a never ending atrocity of a war, on building more weapons that can ever be used, on sending thousands of thousands of young soldiers to give their life in honor of their country, on banning same sex marriages, on keeping the masses ignorant to hide their inconvenient truths. But they dare to call Obama's decision profoundly immoral!?!? This is outrageous! I'm really, really, really happy that Obama just reversed this madness, and he still keeps on reinforcing my belief and vision I had the day I voted for him. If all this medical research would have already been in function years ago... chances are that probably my father could have taken advantage of it already. Intelligence needs to prevail over this religious rubbish!

"Rather than furthering discovery, our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values," Obama said. "In this case, I believe the two are not inconsistent. As a person of faith, I believe we are called to care for each other and work to ease human suffering."