Saturday, March 14, 2009

This week's magic places.

I've dined out to a few new places this week. You can go out every night in this town and have amazing food from all over the world. The options are endless. Here is a list of places you must try if you visit London. As many of you know I'm not a vegetarian because I eat seafood, however my diet is 75% vegetarian. All the places I'm about to list have a great selection for both, any taste from vegan to carnivore.

KASLIK in Soho
It's a small and chic Lebanese restaurant. It has the typical "Arabic" style decor that is also found in Moroccan and Persian restaurants. Or as I like to refer to as the sexy Mediterranean basin style, that has many sort of variations starting from Northern Africa all the way to Middle East, and Southwest Asia. I love the bright colored cushions splattered with beads and gold. The walls of this restaurant are all painted in red. All the tables are formed by the large silver round trays. The ceiling is a tasteful constellation of gold and colored glass lanterns. It's an intense experience just walking in. It's like being sucked inside the genie's lamp!! The food was incredible. Everything was so fresh and full of flavor. I was pleased to know that one of people in the party is vegetarian and he ordered every possible dish I could also eat. The ambiance is warm and friendly, the service is impeccable. The Falafel are some of the best I have ever had. And I do consider myself a Falafel snob!

MAISON TOUAREGUE in Soho
After the Lebanese night... I had to follow up with a Moroccan night! What a treat! This restaurant has a ground floor and an under-ground level (as many here in London). We decided to go downstairs. It was the right choice! That is where the younger and hipper crowd was. The upstairs was more for older couples and tourists. We were in the right spot. The owner and the whole staff make you feel like you are at home. It was like being at a party. I had a fabulous Vegetable Couscous while my friend opted for a Royal Couscous (all sorts of dead animals cooked in great spices). The whole lounge was full of girls in all the booths and cabanas! By the time the Belly Dancer showed up, everyone was having a really good time. The dancer was so beautiful. I envy how sensuous their movements are and how effortless they make it look. The drunk guests were not as graceful... but from an entertainment point of view... priceless!!! I ate, drank mint tea, laughed, watched, ate, drank some more and by the time we left the staff hugged us and begged us to go back and visit! I love this place!

TWELFTH HOUSE in Notting Hill
I thought it would be a great idea to bring my friend who was visiting to Notting Hill and possibly Portobello Market on Saturday morning. I must have being smoking crack! It was a nightmare of slow walking tourists! I once again wished for an iHonk! Sometime though from the worst ideas the best things happen. We had given up on Portobello Market and were heading back towards my house. We see this small cafe. We enter and it looks so interesting! Surprisingly it was not busy. The girls from the staff are the typical funky NH bohemian creatures (similar to the Melrose Ave. crowd in LA). We sat by the window and spied on all the manic people rushing to Portobello. The food was really good, I had no idea I could still enjoy a vegetarian version of the classic English Breakfast. I know I'm weird, but I do really love the beans, the mushroom and the stewed tomatoes! The funniest part of the place is that it revolves around the Astrological Signs theme, hence the name Twelfth House. With you bill you also get your horoscope! How cute is that? Of course I have to post it....

***Virgo***
You're not really a virgin! You have been misunderstood. You're as lusty and naughty as any of the other signs. Your reputation comes from your need to retain a sense of yourself and your own integrity. You may marry many times but you will never completely belong to anyone else. You are a worker who likes to create order and make things as perfect as possible. If the job is to be done it must be done RIGHT and you're the who knows how to do it right enough! You are an earth sing ruled by Mercury, messenger of the gods, and you enjoy being useful to others and the community.

This is one of the best horoscope I have ever read about my sign!I don't believe in daily (nor monthly, yearly horoscopes). I do like reading about the traits in different signs. I must admit this one is pretty darn close to who I am. I liked this place; good brunch, fun staff, plenty of people watching, and free horoscope! I love it!!!

TUK-TUK NOODLE BAR in Bayswater
This is a fast, affordable and fun Thai Noodle Bar. I had a scrumptious Mixed Seafood Sizzled Noodle dish. The place is quite busy but the staff will manage to sit you very promptly. This is good when you're on the go and don't want to spend too much time or money on a quick bite. Surprisingly you need to ask for chopsticks! I refuse to eat Asian food with a fork!!!! It takes the fun out it and it doesn't taste the same! They only have the really nice chopsticks, they don't use the disposable ones. The server explained that they don't put them on the table anymore because people steal them!!!!

CAFE ROMA in Bayswater
This is the smallest cafe I have ever seen! It matches the size of my studio flat. It's cute and unique. The breakfast is good, the capuccino was amazing. I like it that is elevated for the street level, they have a fun view from the window. Great for grabbing a croissant and coffee on your way to Hyde Park.