Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The city of "pairs"


I honestly don't think I have ever seen so many couples as I am experiencing here in London! They are everywhere! Young and old, of all shapes, sizes, religions and races. You find them on the tube, on the street, in the stores, at work, at the museums, at the pubs... you can't escape from "couples".

Are there any single people in this city? I went from the capital of Singles (LA) to this? My theory is that is so damn cold and grey here, that people get bored. They need another human being to keep them warm at all times. That explains the constant snuggling, kissing, hugging. Once they find a compatible "match", they keep it! They have no intention of going out in the cold again to look for another one. It doesn't matter if they don't perfectly match! At this point they have already decided to move into a flat together... it makes perfectly sense, they will now not only keep each others warm but they will also share bills.

Often the couples I see don't look like a match at all, not visually nor intellectually! It looks like they went to a "partner" end of season 80% sale! It's the last day of the sale, there is not much left, you just need to pick the piece of garment that is leftover because it's a good deal... not necessarily because it was what you were looking for, but because it was there and you just needed to pick one up. I find all this to be sad and hopeless. Will I eventually end up thinking that way too? Just because I realized that I used the word "eventually", I know it will never happen! That is my least favorite word! It's a lazy way to say "never". I just don't see myself adapting to a new environment to the point of transfiguring my beliefs and standards... and with this thought I must end this posting as I will save it for my next related subject!