Sunday, March 8, 2009

Kew Gardens


This is a very impressive ensemble of gardens and green houses. It showcases the world's largest Victorian Green House. It's fascinating to imagine who visited those gardens in the mid 1800s. It reminded me a little of the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena. My favorite section was this amazing green house divided into different sub-tropical zones displaying different types of Orchids. It is really a scenery that looks like it popped out of a fairy tale! The colors are so vibrant. The shapes are unbelievable. It's really amazing what nature can do. I seriously kept on waiting for a fairy or some other sort of strange creature to jump out from the greenery. What a treat to find a place like that on a cold, windy and rainy day. The park is in the Richmond area, which doesn't even look like London. It looks like a little ritzy colorful English village. It was definitely worth the trip and ticket. I just wish I had more time and that the weather would have been nicer. It was so cold that my ears were experiencing the most acute form of pain ever. I have now blasted the heater at home so high that it feels like I'm recreating the Palm House climate!