Monday, March 23, 2009

My addictive second life on Facebook!

I really have a full time second life. No, I'm not referring to the "Second Life" game... which I must admit that out of boredom I once signed up to... however my incredibly slow laptop refused to let me fully upload the software. Which I'm sure it's for the best! Between my real life, my alter-egos who get confused with my real self and my now addiction to Facebook... I would really have to quit my job if I had Second Life as well.

I spend an average of ten hours a day at work. By the time I get home I have a million ideas I want to write about on my blog (a lot of them don't pass my over-critical eye once I actually see them in typing). I use my blog as an excuse to be creative and turn on my "time-black-whole" (my PC). I'm not sure how this happens punctually every night. I turn the TV to follow the news, I turn on the PC to write my blog, and cook a quick dinner. Before I know it I have already switched to Facebook. This is a full time activity! I have a whole new life there waiting for me. I am very methodical about it too, which really bothers me! First I have to snoop on everyone's by clicking HOME and checking everyone's activity. If I see anything interesting I must COMMENT on it or select the I LIKE IT! Next I must check my NOTIFICATIONS, that's where I easily see if anybody has commented on me, my status, my pictures, tagged pictures or videos to me, has sent me flowers, or shoes, or cupcakes, Superhugged me, Poked me, Superpoked me, Kidnapped me, had a Mafia War against me, had a vampire attack my vampire, zombie attacks, pirates attacks, received a lei, Mardi gras beads, and.... it's endless! I then must reply to any comment or action! Once I'm done I check my messages and must reply to all of them. I also always aim on trying to be funny and original. All right, I have poked everyone back, replied, commented, kidnapped, whatever needed to be done is now done. That's when I start torturing myself by having to compose a clever STATUS of WHAT'S ON MY MIND! The motive is to see how many will comment on my status and see how long they can continue their chain of comments. That makes me feel satisfied towards my choice of thoughts. You would think that by now I would be done and I could happily either go to sleep or move on to reading or writing. No!! I'm still distracted. Now I decide that I must send something to someone I have not talked to in a while, why not write on their WALL. What's next? Youtube!!! When you're out of things to do on Facebook, then you turn to Youtube to find something (anything) you like to post on your on Wall on Facebook! this is endless! You know this is to provoke more comments. It's a very viscous circle. And let's not start on ridiculously personality quizzes that then you are forced to send to at least 30 friends. I'm way more social at this point in my life on FB then in reality. In the end I managed to spend about 5 hours on this dumb social network. But instead of getting sick of it... I get more and more wrapped in it. Let's also mention that I DO NOT accept strangers as friends. That is not why I'm in this addictive game. I just like to keep in touch with my own friends.

Well... now I must run... somebody is trying to chat with me on FB!!!!