Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Higher standards and lower tolerance

I'm aware this does not apply to everyone. In fact I feel like this posting is somewhat related to the previous one (The city of "pairs"). I think that a lot people lower their standards as they get older, especially when is relationship related. I think they fear to be lonely, to grow old and alone. So they compromise by lowering they standards and raising their tolerance levels.

I qualify under the opposite list. As I get older my standards get higher, sometime way too high! To the point I'm not sure I'll ever reach them but I'd rather try and fall then settling for what is available. This subject includes: jobs, love, food, clothes, or anything that I get to chose.

Let's start with jobs. When you're younger you just need a job sometime, then you learn, you go to school, you gain experience and discover what is your talent. Once that is nailed, I want to pursue it and additionally I want to grow and reach higher position levels in that particular industry. I will not chose a job that forces me to back-track and I would not be happy working for a company that does let me fully sparkle (I like that word!). I also find that as years go by my urge for chasing my dreams becomes more and more maniacal. I feel like I need to accomplish everything! The sooner the better! I need to get a show running in London, Rome and Paris. I need to win an Oscar! I must direct and shoot a documentary in Africa or South America!!! I also need to find some time to at least once do some volunteer work in a third world country!!! I must be recognized world-wide for some sort of achievement that helped animals! Write a thriller/novel. Write a comedic book about my life in the USA. Learn how to pilot an helicopter. But I just feel like time is running out, and my projects in my head keep on multiplying even before I have the actual time to start working on them. Yes, I'm an ambitious workaholic with no sense of reality.

Love in a way is similar. When you're young you think you fall so hard for someone because it's new. My standards were pretty low. I think that cute and funny was all it mattered! And I surely did find "cute & funny". I would lie if I said that I didn't go that route again... obviously I have a weakness for cute and funny men. The difference is now that I'm older I know it will only be funny and cute for a very short time. I would not consider the "subject" to be a possible candidate for a long term relationship. I must admit that I still will not give up the looks on my ideal partner, nor a good sense of humor! But now I have become incredibly judgmental about men's IQ, their goals and ambitions and whether or not they accomplish to reach them, their taste in shoes, their political views, their choices in hobbies, their opinions about being green, their level of spirituality not being related to any particular religion, their passion for nature, their ability to actually be a man. I know it's really close to impossible, especially because I decide on daily basis to add more "toppings" to my flavor. How would I describe this impossible creature? I guess it would be a mix of the following: The genius of Einstein, The looks of Pearce Brosnan, The irony of "Rhett Butler", The humor of Roberto Benigni, The creativity of Leonardo (NO, NOT DiCaprio!!), The green passion of Al Gore, I won't go on because it would really become a Frankenstein creation of my psyche. As a result of my over elaborating of this fiction man, my tolerance for anyone who does not share my list of "must haves" decreases more and more. I still think I'd rather be alone than accepting a meaning-less substitute. I also refuse to "search" for him on a website! It has to happen like it was meant to be. I can only meet my perfect match either at some outdoors venture, museum, art gallery, or acting rehearsal I almost forgot that one!! He must have a real love and understanding of the acting craft. See? This is The Never Ending List!!!

Food and clothes classify under shopping. I've become quite the snob on this level as well. I'm truly obsessed by organic foods. I also am in a constant search for vegan products! Although I'm not vegan. I also am very picky about grocery stores. I was quite happy to find Whole Foods here in London. I now also like Waitrose and Tesco. I religiously take my vitamins, various supplements and potions daily. I like personally picking my fruits and vegetables. It's a ritual. I really love to eat, cook and therefore do my groceries. Clothes.... Here in London I swear they have the same stores lined up on the streets at intervals over and over again! You see Clarcks, H&M, GAP, Benetton, Zara, and then it starts all over again! Obviously if you have the budget there is also plenty of choices for the designer brands. I love shoes and clothes. I must touch everything when I'm in a store. If it looks good but does not feel good to the touch, then it's not good for me. It must fit like if it was made for me. I can't just buy something because it's on sale! Luckily I'm not a shopaholic! I like quality over quantity. I follow trends to a point, I think I have my own style. As a dear friend of mine would say, the style of "Purple Movie Star".