Friday, February 27, 2009

Mildred and Hertfod are fantastic!

Last night I had a lovely dinner at an Italian restaurant in Soho called Amalfi, I know what are the odds! I used to manage an Amalfi restaurant in LA!

The table were quite small and way too close to your "neighbors".

Then the most entertaining thing happened. This old couple set next to our table. I don't know their names, I wish I did. I decided to name them Mildred and Hertford, they just looked like they deserved good old English names. They were both very distinguished and elegant looking. She was wearing a red blazer, her hair in between a very delicate blond and white styled in a long bob cut. He had bright white hair, a bit of a longer haircut... sort of resembled the hair of a King from a deck of cards. They ordered two glasses of red wine, and she also had an appetizer. He did not eat. They were so lively and interesting that my friend and I couldn't help nor stop listening and spying on them. They became the best "live show" I had seen in a long time. Hertford was wearing enormous glasses with a black plastic frame, he had one of this little cords you attach to your glasses so you can wear them down and not lose them... however he had tied the little cord really tight around his head. I suppose to better hold his gigantic glasses over his face. They spoke and told each other stories non-stop. They were incredibly loud! I was not annoyed though. I think they were really good friends, they must have known each other for ages. The funny thing is that despite their very regal appearance they were cursing like sailors while gossiping about the entire world! I heard it all, form "fuck" to "shit", to "bastard", "wanker"... you name it! In the same sentences they managed to speak about Michael Douglas... it sounded like they personally knew him, and an infinite number of other celebrities. The stories were hysterical! I wish I had videotaped them. This could have been a terrific sitcom. They were beautiful. I wanted to just push our table right next to them and just ask them all sort of random questions. These are the type of people who catch my interest. My friend almost took a secret picture of them with his phone. I assume they both worked in the theater world, they were definitely thespians. Maybe he was a director and she was an actress. I loved them. I whish I personally knew them and had wine with them every night while listening to all their magical and naughty stories. Seeing them made me think that if I do get to that age, that is how I would love to be. I would love to still be able to go out with an old friend to catch up, drink wine, talk as loud as you want while cursing and not caring that everyone else can hear you. Being full of spunk and still interesting. I don't really know anything more about Mildred and Hertford except that it was probably the first time I looked an old couple not feeling pity for them, subsequently not fearing of becoming old, sick and helpless. I think I was a bit jealous actually. Who knows maybe I will run into them again, and I will use any excuse to introduce myself!
Eccentric and magic shall be the way I remember them.