Sunday, February 22, 2009

My date with Darwin


I had a really fabulous Saturday. I got up early and went to the "Darwin's Big Idea" Exhibition and also the "Wildlife Photography of the Year" show. I loved them both.

I felt such a connection with Darwin. I didn't know he had such a good sense of humor for example. I so envy his life. I think he had the most accomplished existence one could ever wish for. He traveled the whole world, he discovered and studied animals and plants, he successfully proved his theory, and still managed to have a family of his own. He really had such an amazing journey. What a genius! Although I was already well aware of his work and discoveries, it was really a delight to get to "know" him on a more personal level.

The cherry on the top was then my impulsive decision to also go see the photography show. It was incredible. It made me feel more than ever like wanting to travel and be submerged by nature and wildlife. My dream is to be visiting the world while photographing its nature and inhabitants. I would love to capture anything that catches my interest or causes my imagination to run wild, to then write about it. So why can't I do so? Maybe I don't know where to start from... Maybe I should do it. Quit everything, buy a ticket to wherever, pack a camera and a recorder and just take off. I might just do so tomorrow. If I did what country would I pick first? Oh, the pressure, I can't even decide!! Would it be South Africa? India? Brazil? Australia? Maybe I would just decide at the airport.

All right, I have a plane to catch in a few hours. And I still need to pack!