Monday, April 27, 2009

The Stuart Feakins Trust.

I went through a phase in my life when I lived in Los Angeles, that I discovered that by helping others I also helped myself. I started volunteering for different associations during my weekends, and not only you're doing something wonderful for the community... but you realize it's therapeutic for yourself as well. You learn, you become more humble, more in tune with the universe, and sometime makes your life worth living.

Since I moved to London, I hadn't had the chance, or maybe the energy and will, to be involved again. Luckily the opportunity this time knocked on my door. About a week ago a company wide email went around asking for people to help on a weekend to shoot a documentary about an association that cares about young people in the city of Hackney. Without even thinking about it for an extra second, I replied with excitement that they could count on me. I was warned that this is a not so safe area of London. It made me a bit nervous, but not enough to stop me from this adventure.

I can't express how glad I am that I was part of such an amazing group of people. I felt so honored to be with a professional crew, out in challenging conditions, to help continue an amazing legacy! That is right, this is what this story is about. A legacy, a phenomenon, a man by the name of Stuart Feakins who believed in the impossible. A man that I really wish I could have met! He spent his life helping young people in Hackney find their way back into a good life, a life filled with hope, goals, and success stories. Stuart was convinced in been able to make a difference in people's life who were not born as lucky as him. Stuart loved sports, to travel, the movie industry and music. He used this tools, such as sports, to reach the souls of these kids that sadly have nobody to talk to, to look up to, to be coached by. Not until, they met Stuart.

We interviewed some of Stuart's friends and some of the kids he mentored. This story is so beautiful and amazing! These children have so much love for a man that they consider their family. Stuart... passed away at age 40. I never met him. But I know everything about him. He has made such an impression on me, just through the eyes and words of all the lucky people who met him. Individuals like Stuart are in my opinion like angels on earth. I have no words to really express how admire and respect men and women like him.

It made me realize how badly I need to get involved into volunteering again. Somebody out there might need me, somebody out there might be able to switch tracks in their life's path for the better.

Thank you Stuart for just being such an outstanding human being...I really wish I could have met you in person.

www.thestuartfeakinstrust.com