Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Little Ashes


Tonight I went to see Little Ashes, a movie about young Federico García Lorca and Salvador Dalí. I must say I was quite impressed. Written by Philippa Goslett, who I'm proud to say is a close friend and former co-worker of the lovely group of people I joined tonight to view this feature. She beautifully tells the story of the young poet and painter in a very unique way. I was very engaged for the beginning of the film, the photography and choreography magically drops you back in time, in a Madrid of the early 1920s.

The connection, or better yet attraction in between Salvador and Federico is tangible from the first second they meet. It is very intriguing to experience the growth of their secret and "illegal" passion for each other. As you follow their struggle with society and their urge to express their talent through their art and love, you can't help it, you just want to see them together. Federico played by Javier Beltrán, is so believable and organic in his role. He will make you feel his struggle, his tortured mind and intensity. Salvador played by Robert Pattinson, will transform scene by scene into the eccentric genius, I admire the challenge that this young actor took by accepting such a role. Not mentioning he had to acquire a Spanish accent. I applaud both of them for their fantastic performance. Nonetheless the whole cast was excellent.

I really don't want to reveal too much because I highly recommend you try to see this movie. If not released at a theater by you, please try to rent it. It's fresh, very sensual, very artistic on every level. I think this is the first time that the story of these two iconic artists' love affair has ever been told on film. There is so much in between the lines, in between their looks, their desperate choices in life that cannot be missed in Little Ashes. So I say, if you ever wanted an intimate look into their lives, this is your chance to experience it.

Here is the link to the great feature that will make you smile, cry, and excite you while showing you also the reality and brutality that Spain went through during its history.

http://www.littleashes-themovie.com/