Saturday, March 20, 2010

My First Italian Clash.

One of my NYE resolutions has been going back to school. I'm determined that it will happen this year! Nothing is going to get in my way. A few weeks ago I had an interesting meeting with a representative from an Online University. Although they are fully accredited for their degrees... I just feel funny about getting my University degree online.

Today I got up early and proudly headed to the Open Day at the Bocconi University. I know they have a Business degree in Art and Communication. Which I find very appealing as it is related to my job. The whole place is buzzing with tons of high school students. The structure slightly reminds me of an American campus, so I instantly feel comfortable.... although thinking again about it was just a big, square and lacking in personality conglomerate of buildings.

I get my packet of info and look for the area that carries the sign of the degree I'm interested in. I introduce myself to a professor and she happily welcomes me. I start to explain my situation: being older and having a career I love, yet wanting to go back to school to get my so long wished upon degree. She starts looking nervous, and tells me that it is highly recommended to frequent all courses, as this particular faculty has been carefully designed, and all professors take a lot of pride in their work. Ok, I understand and respect that! However I have a full time job that I really enjoy, and I plan on studying on my own or taking evening classes. She firmly say that Bocconi does NOT offer evening classes... then she asks me how old I am as my appearance is very confusing and not clear (precisely her words!). I answer: 38. She looks at me and her eyes widen so much I fear her eye balls will drop on the floor, and bounce around as marbles! She then even asks me if I have a family and children! I say no, as I'm thinking this is really none of her darn business!! She is totally trying to make me feel too old to go back to school! She even tells me (as if I hadn't thought about it myself), "you know most of the people here are in between 18 and 24. Do you want to come here just so you can have a piece of paper to be proud of?". Is this a real professor? One I surely don't want!!!

Suddenly while she is talking all sort of random statements, sayings, and friends' quotes from the States are swirling in my head... "it's never too late! go for it! you deserve it! why not? why shouldn't you? the sky is the limit! you can do it! take the challenge! obstacles are challenges!". Yeah! And one more quote quickly flashed through my mind as well, a quote from a colleague from last week "You know.... you know you will never be fully Italian again, never ever!". I thought he was been a bit drastic... but now I think he was right.

What is this professor's deal? Why is she not encouraging me to sign up, but rather trying to scare me away. She is telling me that is going to be a big responsibility, that when I get home from work I will have to sit in my room and study! Hellooo!!!??? Didn't I just tell her I'm 38, I didn't say I'm retarded, I said I'm 38!!! She doesn't even know me! I used to work a full time job (where I usually stayed longer than my scheduled 8 hours), additionally I had a part-time job, I took an improv/sketch comedy class, I performed on stage with a theatre ensemble (keep in mind that involves rehearsals), I religiously went to the gym, hiking, volunteering for green causes, and managed to have also a busy social life. Oh wait, but that was back in the USA... there you instantly become a master of multi-tasking, it's in the air you breathe. Here age goes against you, and having ONE job seems to be too time consuming for me to study on my free time. Why? Now more than ever I want to go back! "Professor My Class is so Awesome and Cannot be missed" is not going to tell me what to do... and she will never have the pleasure to teach me a thing. I will not stop here, I have more universities to visit and I will be enrolled before the end of the year.
Morale of the story? I'm too stubborn and determined when I want something. Bring it on, I'm ready!