Saturday, March 27, 2010

Do I have to go to LA to vote for the Italian elections?

SECOND ITALIAN CLASH...
As many of you know by now, I have lived abroad over the last decade or so. I'm one of those people who strongly believes that every vote counts. I love politics, doing my research before an election comes up, and I usually get pretty involved about my likings. With this said, it is easy to understand that although not physically in Italy, I have always made sure I was registered with the AIRE in order to vote.

Throughout the years I registered my residence in Norfolk VA, Orlando FL, Los Angeles CA, and London UK. It has always been a very easy process that instantly registers you in your new abroad residence. I once remembered to register myself the week before the elections... and I still received my voting card in time.

I moved to Milan on February 2nd, and on February 5th I went to register my new residence. I was told it would take officially 6 months to be active. However I was given a letter that suggested I was able to get my doctor, and prove my physical residence in Lombardy. Today the city hall was open to help people who have not yet received the voting card. I forgot to mention tomorrow and Monday we are having the regional elections. I went to get my voting card.... but I was turned down! I was told I must wait the 6 months before I can have the darn voting card. So I asked the lady-clerk "where should I go voting? back in LA or London?". She answered affirmative! So basically she was telling me that it's easier as an Italian citizen to vote abroad for Italian elections rather than in your own country! That makes NO sense!!! I registered myself about 2 months ago! Why does it take so long? I got so aggravated with the situation that I raised my voice and said "So as an Italian citizen by birth, as a punishment for having lived abroad for some time, I now have no right to vote at least temporarily. Isn't that against our constitution?". She freaked out while looking around as if I was crazy. She kept on repeating to me that "You're not a resident of the region of Lombardy yet!"... right, but I'm not a resident of Sardinia either since 1993! So in reality not only I can't vote, I have no region to vote for!

This is causing me so much aggravation I will get an ulcer!