Friday, February 12, 2010

OMG, is it really my first post for 2010?


I have lived in foreign nations for so many years, I had forgotten the beauty of my own country: Italy. I have moved to Milan not even fully two weeks ago, and yet I feel intoxicated with the vibrant lifestyle. Many of you might be wondering “Excuse me, what’s the difference? Haven’t you been in Italy for the last four months while at your parents?”… No, it’s completely different, for two main reasons: 1) I was in Sardegna! Not only it’s an island, it’s literally a lost land on its own. Although it’s gorgeous in summer time to go there and show off your bikini, and go to pretentious clubs where you will easily spend a whole paycheck in one night…. it’s not anymore I place where I can find my happiness, follow my career and dreams, nor have anything in common with its residents. 2) I was overwhelmed… to say the least by my parents’ insanity that was slowly eating me alive and dragging me into the quick sands of isolation and hopelessness. I do love them dearly, but I can’t change them, save them, nor be with them.

Luckily I have managed over the years, my trips, my journeys, and my jobs to make some solid and incredible friends. They really are not even friends, but truly a fortunate extension of my family. The best kind of relatives, because you get to chose your favorite friends! Am I side-tracking from my main subject, my move to Milan? Nope, not at all! This is all connected. If it wasn’t for this wonderful group of people that I have secretly named (yes, I did copy it from a movie) My Circle of Trust, I wouldn’t be here now. Wow, it sounds like the words from my show… it’s unbelievable how reality was so well woven in that script… So, I thank my Circle of Trust. I refuse to reveal their identities, or to even let them know who is in or not… let’s just say the Circle includes 9 people, purposely one of my favorite numbers as it is a multiple of 3 and the number of my birth month. Yes, I’m a freak!

So, here I am in Milan! I’m still in shock! I absolutely love it! When I was a teenager I used to believe I was going to move here to go to University… but my overly protective parents opposed (thinking it was too far! Well I showed them, didn’t I?), and subsequently I fell in love and decided to get married instead (the overly protective parents opposed on this decision too…. And obviously I did NOT listen).
So many years later, here I am! And it’s exactly how I had imagined it when I was sixteen. I imagined that after getting my degree, I would have found a great job, I would have stylishly dressed in grey and black on winter, I would have had a cute medium length haircut, and live on my own. I’m almost there! I got a job that I love, I got the haircut and clothes… and next I’m going to get that degree I have been wanting for so long. I already have an appointment tomorrow for some orientation! I swear, I’m on a roll this year. NOTHING will stop me!!!

I had started by saying how I had forgotten that I was Italian… I really had, and it was sad! I’m slowly re-acquiring my Italian flare. I walk down the streets enjoying the smell of cigarettes and espressos coming out of the busy and stylish cafes. I’m having to re-learn my beautiful and complex language as I speak like a foreign child! I’m breathing so much Italian through the sites of the monuments, art, architecture, and fashion that I feel high on this strange mixed sensation of pride for belonging to this culture. Women and men are nicely dressed, and pay attention to the detail in a very casual way, they have very fashionable haircuts. And something else I love, women wear make up! Women… are women and even having their careers, husbands and children they still like to look stunning… then again this is Milan, the capital of fashion!!!!
I just want to add that I feel thankful, grateful, and blessed! It’s only February and almost all my wishes and resolutions for this year have been already accomplished!