Monday, May 3, 2010

The "Horses" Race = The 2 Sides of Milan


Milan is one of this city that has a dramatically split personality's society. One side is jammed with people who are eager to fight for people's rights and protest the government in every artistic way they can imagine; the the other side is highly enjoying the actual situation while showing off their branded belongings. They are two tribes. Just as tribes they distinguish themselves with their looks and behaviors. As I must always be extreme in all my choices and decisions I have managed once again to mix myself in both crowds... moved by my curiosity, my hunger to learn, and my acceptance and interest in understanding people's choices.
Therefore a couple of weeks ago I decided to go visit the two big famous Milan's race horses! LeonCavallo vice JustCavalli!!!

My Friday Night at LeonCavallo.
LeonCavallo is a made up word that literally translated means "LionHorse". It's the largest Cummnunity Center in Milan. This is not the typical community center you will find in the States... it an enormous establishment who has been taking over by local citizens, some of them even live there! The center is huge, it has several rooms that can be used for theatrical performances, concerts, meetings, parties, book readings... you get the point. They even offer a funky library and a every smoky and greasy diner... and a potent smell of pot! It's a mixture of older people who want to talk politics and be serious, younger people who live in a hippie/rastah way, artists who want to express themselves and a bunch of immigrants mostly from Africa. Somehow they all seem to get along, and they all call each other "amico" of "fratello" (buddy or brother). It's funny how a place that has such a bad reputation for being the center of protests and always in the target of authorities (who would love to shut them down), it just feels so relaxed and laid back. They don't care who you are, where you come from, and what you do for living. They urge to talk about famous writers, philosophers, politicians, history, story about their travels and exchanging ideas. How inspiring and cool! How ironic that my father has always been SO scared of such places.

My Saturday Night at JustCavalli.
Do you want to experience the total opposite? Here we go! This is a fancy club whose owner is nonetheless fashion designer Roberto Cavalli. You must be on the list! I am! You must dress to impress! I did! You (especially women) must be hot! Well, I wore enough make up and black clothing to pass! And most important of all you must ACT! And I mean: Act Like An Ass! I excel in this too... just for fun! I never saw so many girl models all in one place. They are probably still in their teens, with their beautiful flawless skin, never ending legs, and austere look on their faces. There are tons of men who are wildly jumping around to the beat of the techno music in hope to be seen by the goddesses... and all in a sudden I just crack up laughing! I get this picture in mind where the models are beautiful giraffes and the older, shorter, not so attractive men are hyenas with rabies trying to get at least to lick their thin ankle! This is so pathetic yet hilarious. Around them there a few completely fucked on coke individuals who have no clue what to do with themselves as they are waaaaayyy too alert by 5am! And while wearing the Armani suits they think "how about i punch this asshole?". The atmosphere was very tense and stressful, especially around the many not so young ladies with their giant plastic boobs and lips who would give your the look of death if you dared to dance too close to their sugar-daddy!

In the end, from this research I can assure you there is something for everyone's taste here!