Monday, April 1, 2013

Un-United we stand!

We (Italians) are one of the most fascinating breeds on earth! We love to complain, and whine, and scream! We do always look good while doing so, because we are quite stylish and fashionable! Last month we went to vote and guess what? Nobody won! We are so "perfectly" divided in Italy that we can't even win an election, whether would the winner be an insane comedian, a multi-millionaire who has commited several crimes or a not so charismatic guy who loves to speak by metaphores! What is the problem? Is it that we are so tired we don't even care about who we vote for any longer? Is it that the choices were not so exciting? Why is it so hard to bring in some change? And when I talk about change I'm not chanting in ode to the mad/sad comedian! When the new mayor of Milan was elected in 2011 I went to Duomo square to celebrate with my friends. It was exhilariting, contagious, and I got an optimistic look back on my native country. I thought, that after all, maybe it could happen here too... maybe inside of me I was telling myself "Yes We Can"! It's a strange feeling for me being able to vote for two countries that are so different in their political ways. Anyway, going back to the reason of my worries and disbelief is the result of this past election. I can't believe it really happened, I can't believe that "we" don't know what we want! Adn since we don't know, and our political representive keep arguing and playing as kids at the playground, our President decided he had enough of this crap and he thought that he better give back the lead of the country to the one who had the least votes along with 10 "wise men"... no joke! They call them "the 10 wise men"! (we are in the land of the Pope after all!!!). So now we are back again with a Technical Government, rather than a political one that seems to have temper tantrums, and it will be lead by people who are mostly experts in finance, economics and such... not bad as a background... but maybe it would be nice if they had a clue about politics too!?!?!? And what about women??? Why aren't there any "wise women"??? I was quite delighted at the election of Laura Boldrini as President of Camera dei Deputati, a woman with a very extensive and succesful experience in politics and nonetheless in the UN. So now what? Now we will have to go vote again! Italian politics are a little like the games you play as a child and you almost always end up getting "sorry, try again, next time you'll be more lucky!". Will people forget who they voted for in two months and get an amazing new result?